Sunday, September 12, 2010

Musical Artist that need more Bass

It's time to pay tribute to my favorite (and most underrated) insrtument, the Bass Guitar! I love the Bass. To me, basslines are the best things about a song. But it seems not all bands out there agree with me, and see the Bass as a useless tool. So I'm here to rip em a new one for thinking of such revolting thoughts. Now first of all, most of the people i'm about to complain about I am big fans of.

The first band and perhaps the worst when comes to the Bass is, Metallica. I dont think I have ever heard any bass from this band. Which is odd because there first Bassist, Cliff Burton RIP, is considered one of the greatest Bass players that has ever lived. Even though you cant here it in the songs, he really is a fantastic Bass player. I've heard some of the solo's he has done, and they are truely amazing.

The second band I have is KISS. When it comes to the Bass, it sucks big time. I dont get it, Gene simmons can spit out blood, breath fire, fly, and sing, on his shows, but he cant play the Bass?! Pathetic. I tried to look up any Bass solo's he's done, and the only thing I could find was him running around playing the same st00pid riff over and over again. So what's the deal Gene? Is your amp not plugged in?!

The number three spot band is one of my favorite bands, Judas Priest. They have some of the best solo's and guitar riffs, but the Bass is just as loud as your cell phone ringing during a shotgun blast! I cant here it at all! Maybe having 2 guitar's is a bit overkill boys?

And at number four, we have Guns 'n' Roses. Ok, so maybe "Sweet child of mine" has some pretty good Bass. But besides that, it's just not that interesting. Don't get me wrong, I love Guns n Roses, but all I can hear is Slash shredding and Axl singing in that awesome voice. Or maybe it's just because Slash plays so awesome like, thats all I can hear. Either way, few Bass notes are heard, and thats enough to bitch about.

Now fith and last (on here anyway) is the prince of darkness himself, Ozzy Osbourne. Back when Ozzy was with Black Sabbath, there was all kind's of Bass by my favorite Bassist Geezer Butler. But with his solo career, there's very few Bass notes that could be heard. The only song I could really hear any Bass was his 1979 hit, "I dont know" and even the bass there sucked. All that could be heard was just one note playing over and over. But the guitar by Randy Rhoads was absolutly amazing. Hopefully his next and last album will have more Bass.

Practically every single musical artist in the 80's had extremely poor Bass skills. And I have a theory why. Almost every Bass player in the 80's used something that you dont need on a Bass, a pick. I think the true way to play Bass is by finger. Dont try to be a guitarist! Bass players have to stand out! STOP USING PICKS! When you use a pick, you wont be heard, bottom line!

Untill next time, I'm Lord Semaj, and that will be all.

2 comments:

  1. the treble/bass balance on my car radio always has the bass turned up, and the treble turned down; too much treble gives me a headache. I'll tell you a good 80's band bass: the Eurythmics. frekin' A man.

    SLAP THAT BASS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen, Semaj. If bands aren't going to play their instruments correctly, then they shouldn't at all.

    ReplyDelete